Anthropomorphic Personifications

a place for thoughts or a lack thereof

Atom/RSS Feed

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

More Politics stuff

Damn.. it seems that despite my intentions I'm writing more about politics than anything else... hmmm I guess that's what happens when most of my current news viewing to either about the race or coloured by thoughts along the lines on "So why haven't any of the candidates said anything about how we can fix this?"

My favourite was a thought I had last night while watching some BBC news about the newly released UN study on infant mortality: "It's too bad that no one in politics has the courage [even though I probably said "balls"] to step up to the mic and say 'How can we even live with ourselves. We should be doing more to help these people and resolve this inequality." I feel that it's time not just to rethink politics but also to rethink our moral obligations in the world. and that sentiment in no way applies only to the US, but to everyone who isn't struggling to survive.

Now on to the articles I read over lunch:
Hillary and Say's Law - I disagree with the conclusion because it would reinforce inequality, but I do agree with most of the early stuff about "free money" from the government. Tax the "rich" (much more than they currently are) by all means, but use the money to fund infrastructure programs that will benefit the country in the future and stimulate the economy by giving people jobs. Of course I understand that this will not help with the "immediate need" to stimulate the economy but... well I haven't thought it out much.... maybe it's already too late for a quick fix. last point before moving on: last time I checked.. companies (many? most?) had just come out of a period of record earnings, and if so then in theory giving them more resources with which to invest shouldn't have much impact at all.

Obama's Clinton Education - Bah! Makes. me. angry. Seriously that's just dirty pool. Kudos to the Journal for raising it but the broader media establishment needs to take a more active leadership role in clarifying the facts and actually "doing some journalism". Let's get investigative guys.
[Edit] Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so.[/Edit]

Clinton's No. 1 Surrogate Clashes With No. 1 Rival - I've not read this one yet but seem to be similar in to the previous one, but might let Hillary off the hook for the actions of her agents. Oh... Have I mentioned how much I dislike the idea of dynasties in democracies?

And that's enough for now.
One day something interesting is going to happen in my life that will encourage me to post something besides politics and links but... for now just remember that I'm going to meet someone cooler than you tomorrow. And I'll ignore them because they're not worth my time.
--
about as useful as the ability to regurgitate whole lobsters.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

" );